Herzogenaurach, February 2013 – Revolutionary energy return, superior cushioning, optimal fit and temperature independence: adidas introduces the Energy Boost, a cushioning technology that provides the highest energy return in the running industry. And just like that, running will never be the same.
Boost your cushioning
The foundation of the BOOST™ innovation is centred on a revolutionary cushioning material. Based on an innovative development process created by our partner BASF, the world's leading chemical company, solid granular material (TPU) is literally blown up and turned into thousands of small energy capsules which make up the footwear’s distinctive midsole. With their unique cell structure, these energy capsules store and unleash energy more efficiently in every stride. Tests conducted by the adidas Innovation Team (ait.) show that the highly durable material found only in Energy Boost products provides the highest energy return in the running industry.
“adidas is committed to creating innovative products that make athletes better. With BOOST™ we have created a cushioning revolution that provides the highest energy return in the industry,” says Eric Liedtke, Head of Sport Performance. “In short, Energy Boost is the next great running shoe and will reset the running industry.”
Bernd Wahler, Head of Innovation for adidas, adds: “BOOST™ is a revolutionary material which combines the usually conflicting performance benefits of soft and comfortable, on the one hand, and firm and responsive cushioning, on the other, for the most comfortable run ever. It almost makes the shoe come to life, and you will feel it from the first moment you put it on. BOOST™ sets a new standard not only for running shoes, but for the entire industry and all products going forward.”
Boost your conditions
The new cushioning material does not only provide the highest energy return in the industry; it also holds its performance in almost any condition at unparalleled levels. The adidas Innovation Team (ait.) conducted tests to monitor how the BOOST™ foam material would react in a variety of temperatures compared to standard EVA foam commonly used in most running shoes.
These tests revealed that, when taken from +40 to -20 degrees Celsius, BOOST™ foam is three times more temperature-resistant than standard EVA material, thus providing a more consistent run.
Boost your comfort
The innovation goes beyond the revolutionary midsole technology. The upper on the Energy Boost features adidas Techfit technology with highly durable and elastic polyurethane, which provides optimal comfort and support to the entire foot while in motion. A stretch, breathable mesh material offers the fit of a sock while engineered powerbands across the upper provide targeted support and stabilise the foot where needed when moving.
Boost your run
Energy Boost will be available worldwide at adidas Sport Performance stores, selected retailers and through e-commerce as of February 27, 2013.
Notes to Editors:
- The BOOST™ foam material combines previously contradicting performance benefits of soft and responsive cushioning.
- The energy return is provided by energy capsules in the midsole which store and release energy so efficiently that runners feel the difference from the first moment they put the shoes on.
- Based on an innovative process developed by adidas’ partner BASF, the world's leading chemical company, solid granular material (TPU) is literally blown up and turned into small energy capsules which make up the shoe’s distinctive midsole.
- When tested at extreme temperatures from +40 to -20 degrees Celsius, BOOST™ foam performs more consistently and does not lose its cushioning properties like standard EVA. BOOST™ also maintains its key characteristics better over its lifetime than the comparable EVA midsole.
- Additional adidas technology featured in the Energy Boost include: a special mid-foot support frame which cradles the foot in place; an extended TORSION® system from heel to toe which helps to minimise roll for more stability; an adiwear outsole which reduces wear in key soles areas and extends the life of the shoe; and an external heel counter which maximises the heel fit and comfort during the run.
- Energy Boost is miCoach compatible.
For more information on adidas Running, please visit www.adidas.com/running, our social media news room www.news.adidas.com or follow us on www.facebook.com/adidasrunning.
adidas is a global designer, developer and marketer of athletic footwear, apparel and accessories with the mission to be the leading sports brand in the world. Brand adidas is part of the adidas Group, a corporation that includes brands such as Reebok, TaylorMade and Rockport.
About the adidas Group
The adidas Group is one of the global leaders within the sporting goods industry, offering a broad range of products around the core brands adidas, Reebok, TaylorMade, Rockport and Reebok-CCM Hockey. Headquartered in Herzogenaurach, Germany, the Group has more than 46,000 employees and generated sales of € 13.3 billion in 2011.